At the Klondyke Group we are concious of our sustainability responsibilities and for this reason have introduced recycling schemes at all of our sites for most of our waste generated; this includes the recycling of cardboard, paper, plastic, metal, wood etc.
Currently 69% of our waste is recycled and we aim to further improve moving forward.
We will also endeavour to;
In our centres rainwater is collected and used in the plant area to water plants, reducing the effects on the environment and we actively encourage our customers to do the same.
At the Klondyke Group wherever possible we actively purchase our plant stock from British Growers.
Currently around 90% of plants that we purchase are sourced from UK nurseries.
Benefits of trees & plants:
Help our environment by introducing more plants and tress to your garden.
The Forest Stewrdship Council (FSC) is a non government, non profit organisation that promotes the responsible management of the worlds forests.
FSC labelled products are made with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment and also provide ongoing business value.
The FSC label guarantees that the forest products that are harvested are replaced or are allowed to generate naturally.
FSC protects the right of indigenous people to use the forest. The forest owners must use local workers to run the forest. They must provide them with training, safety equipment and a decent salary.
FSC give the assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the beauty and benefits of the forest.
Klondyke Group will endeavour to:
The Klondyke Group is committed to environmental responsibility and to reducing the usage of peat for environmental reasons. We share public concern in reducing peat use to minimise the effects of global peat extraction on peat bog habits. Many viable alternatives exist which are either completely peat free or of peat reduced content.
The government has set a target for amateur growing media products to be peat free by 2020. We will liaise closely with our suppliers in order to meet these targets.
Our suppliers have improved the labelling and information on their packaging, enabling our customers to make informed choices about peat alternatives when purchasing growing medium.
We will also endeavour to:
• Provide trialled and tested viable peat alternatives
• Sell growing medium products supplied by reputable and responsible companies
• Ensure information is available so that customers can make informed decisions when purchasing growing medium products
• Stock a range of high quality growing medium that is fit for every gardening purpose and meets government guidelines
The Klondyke Group is committed to recognising and accepting the need to provide and manage a safe and environmentally responsible business.
The Group continually strives to improve its energy and water efficiency, reduce wastage, source product ethically and promote sustainable gardening throughout the business.
To implement this policy we intend to manage our environmental and sustainability efforts by seeking to achieve best practice as follows:
• Meeting all regulatory requirements
• Efficient use of energy resources by preventing pollution and minimising consumption
• Recycling of rain water
• Managing and recycling of our waste stream
• Considering the environmental impact of our purchasing decisions
• Promoting plants and products associated with a green environment
• Giving consideration to the environment in both the design and build
of new garden centres
• Promoting green products and fostering environmental awareness
The Directors will continually monitor the implementation and effects of this policy in order to continually improve our environmental practice and performance