Our Waste Recycling Policy
At the Klondyke Group we are concious of our sustainability responsibilities and for this reason have introduced recycling schemes at all of our sites for most of our waste generated; this includes the recycling of cardboard, paper, plastic, metal, wood etc.
Currently 69% of our waste is recycled and we aim to further improve moving forward.
We will also endeavour to;
- Further increase the amount of waste we send for recycling
- Where possible return any plastic plant carrying trays back to the suppliers for them to reuse
- Recycle all printer cartridges that have been used throughout the Group
- We will continue to provide the facility to customers and staff to recycle their used batteries
- Continue to have all junk mail and non sensitive paper waste recycled as well as our shredded confidential paper recycled
- Where possible continue the indroductions of customer recycling facilities such as clothing bins etc
Our Rainwater Policy
In our centres rainwater is collected and used in the plant area to water plants, reducing the effects on the environment and we activeley encourage our customers to do the same.
Did you Know? Plants
At the Klondyke Group wherever possible we actively purchase our plant stock from British Growers.
Currently around 90% of plants that we purchase are sourced from UK nurseries.
Benefits of trees & plants:
- Make your garden more inviting and add beauty
- Trees provide shade
- Provide a natural solution to improve air quality
- Contribute to a healthy lifestyle by improving health and well being
- Reduce stress levels
- Reduce the effects of carbon dioxide
- Reduce background noise
- Attract wildlife to your garden
Help our environment by introducing more plants and tress to your garden.
Our Peat Policy
The Klondyke Group is committed to environmental responsibility and to reducing the usage of peat for environmental reasons.
We share public concern in reducing peat use to minimise the effects of global peat extraction on peat bog habits. Many viable alternatives exist which are either completely peat free or of peat reduced content.
The government has set a target for amateur growing media products to be peat free by 2020. We will liase closely with our suppliers in order to meet these targets.
Our suppliers have improved the labelling and information on their packaging, enabling our customers to make informed choices about peat alternatives when purchasing growing media.
We will also endeavour to:
- Provide trailled and tested viable peat alternatives
- Sell growing media products supplied by reputable and responsible companies
- Ensure information is available so that customers can make informed decisions when purchasing growing media products
- Stock a range of high quality growing media that is fit for every gardening purpose and meets government guidelines
Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Policy
The Forest Stewrdship Council (FSC) is a non government, non profit organisation that promotes the responsible management of the worlds forests.
FSC labelled products are made with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment and also provide ongoing business value.
The FSC label guarantees that the forest products that are harvested are replaced or are allowed to generate naturally.
FSC protects the right of indigenous people to use the forest. The forest owners must use local workers to run the forest. They must provide them with training, safety equipment and a decent salary.
FSC give the assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the beauty and benefits of the forest.
Klondyke Group will endeavour to:
- Provide information to our customers on the benefits of purchasing FSC accredited products
- To actively work toward stocking only wood products that have the FSC accreditation
- Ensure that every product purchased from us that bears the FSC logo has been produced according to FSC standards.
Our Carrier Bag Policy
The Klondyke Group is currently working to a goal of only offering degradable carrier bags to our customers. Later this year we will have exhausted all our current stocks and from them on we will only offer customers degradable carrier bags.
Please help us in our aim by only using carrier bags when necessary and reusing carrier bags whenever possible. Our staff will normally ask you if you require a carrier bag.